Wednesday, July 11, 2007

On Earth by G. Brian Karas

Karas, G. Brian. (2005). On Earth. New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons.

Grade Level:
I would recommend this book for students in grades Pre-K – 2nd grades.

Author Credibility:
This book is an ALA Notable Children’s Book for the 2006 year. Karas has received this award for many of his works.

Summary:
This book discusses the Earth and its functions. Karas explains scientific information in an easy to read format. The book touches on the rotation of the Earth, including a diagram. Other aspects such as shadows and day and night are explained. Karas explains how we measure a year, and also shows that you continue to grow during this time. Seasons are also explained with charts. The book even describes why we don’t fall off of the Earth. A question most students will probably have.

Standards:
Science: Earth and Space

Illustrations:
The illustrations in this book appear to be paintings. Several of the diagrams are drawings that further describe the aspect discussed.

Access Features:

*A chart describing the scientific aspects of Earth discussed in the book. This chart could also be used as a glossary.

How I would use the book in the classroom:
This book would be great to use to learn about the Earth in a lower elementary classroom. For Pre-K and Kindergarten students the teacher may choose to read the book aloud and discuss the various concepts in the book.

My response to the book:
I enjoyed reading this book. I thought the information was presented in a way that young children could understand. The illustrations and text would be interesting for young readers.

Related Texts:
*If You Decide to go to the Moon by Faith McNulty

Other:
The title of the book curves along the side along with painting strokes gives the illusion of the rotation of the earth. The sun can be partially seen along the opening side of the book. This invites the reader into the book. The end pages are blue. This represents the
water on the Earth or perhaps the sky.

2 comments:

I love nonfiction said...

I could picture the cover art in my head based on your vivid descriptions!

Teacher said...

I liked your descriptions and it has made me want to go and buy this book for my classroom. We always do a space unit and I feel like this would be an excellent book to add to my collecttion for that unit.